Everyone dreams of losing some stubborn calories, but it is not as simple as it might sound. Achieving a well toned body requires you to invest a good amount of time in different workout regimens, physical activities, and exercises. Along with that, you must also develop a habit of eating consciously. What goes into the body is very important, and if you do not follow a proper diet, then you will not be able to achieve the desired results.
Some of you might have heard about losing calories while sleeping, and you might wonder how many calories do you burn sleeping. This might sound a bit silly, and a lot of us might ascertain that this statement is completely false. It is actually true, and you can surely lose some calories by taking a nap.
But, simply sleeping all day will not help you to become fit and fabulous. There are several other things that you must do to get a positive result eventually. The calories lost while sleeping might help in complementing the overall weight loss. So, if you are interested in finding out more about this topic, then please keep on reading.
Know how many calories do you burn sleeping
- The actual amount of calories that a person can shed while sleeping might vary significantly from one person to another. If a person weighs around 125 pounds, then he will be able to burn about 38 calories per hour while sleeping.
- The above mentioned value might seem quite insignificant at first glance. But, if you multiply it by the seven to nine hours of sleep that is normally recommended then you will get 266 to 342 calories. Now, that is a very fair amount, as all you have to do is simply sleep!
- It must be noted that the amount of calories that is burned while sleeping increases with respect to our body weight. In other words, if a person weighs 150 pounds, then he will be able to burn about 46 calories an hour while sleeping. So, every night, he will be able to burn around 322 to 414 calories.
- On the other hand, if a person weighs 185 pounds, then he will be able to burn around 56 calories per hour while asleep. Thus, when it comes to a full night of sleep, he will be able to burn anywhere between 392 and 504 calories.
- Now, as we can see, the exact amount of calories burned while sleeping will vary from one person to another. The numbers stated here are average values, and they help in providing a rough estimate regarding the calories lost while sleeping at night.
If you are wondering how many calories do you burn sleeping, then you might also be interested in discussing some important factors that play a significant role in determining this calorie loss. So, without wasting further time, let’s see what these vital factors are.
1. Weight of the Individual
- So, when it comes to the amount of calories burned while sleeping, your individual weight is something that you should pay considerable attention to. You need to keep in mind that the calories burned will increase with the increase in your weight.
- So, a person who weighs more than you will be losing more calories while sleeping. On the other hand, you will be losing less calories compared to that person.
- Metabolism is something that should be given utmost importance when you are concerned about shedding some extra calories.
- It is the process with the help of which our body converts food that we intake into energy. This energy is then used for performing different daily activities.
- It must be kept in mind that it requires energy for keeping the organs running, blood circulating, as well as breathing.
- Gender also plays a significant role in this area, and it has been observed that men tend to burn more calories at rest when compared to the women who have the same weight.
- This is simply because of the fact that men have higher muscle mass than women. The muscles have the capability of burning more calories while at rest than fat.
4. Sleep quality and quantity
- The quality, as well as quantity of your sleep is also very important, and if you are not getting the recommended quantity of sleep, then it will subsequently lower the amount of calories burned. So, make sure you are getting an adequate quantity of sleep.
Tips to enhance calories burned while sleeping
Now that we know how many calories do you burn sleeping, as well as what are the important factors that determine the amount of calories burned, let’s take a look at some tips and tricks that can help you in enhancing this calorie burn.
1. Protein shake before bed
- If you go to bed on an empty stomach then you will not get proper sleep. So, instead of sleeping on an empty stomach, you can try taking a protein shake before bed.
- As we all know, protein is more thermogenic when compared to carbohydrates or fat. Thus, this will help your body to burn more calories during the digestion process.
2. Sleep without a blanket
- If you sleep in cooler temperatures, then your metabolism will increase to a great extent. This in turn can help you to burn more calories while sleeping.
- It also helps in enhancing the amount of healthy brown fat which enables the body to get rid of unnecessary blood sugar. In addition to that, you will also end up burning more calories.
We have discussed how many calories do you burn sleeping. So, we can ascertain that sleeping is not at all a futile activity, and it provides a number of benefits when it comes to weight loss. However, keep in mind that you should also focus a lot on your diet, as well as physical activities. A combination of all these things will help you to shed the excess calories eventually.